Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD

Online Free and Reduced Application

Letter to Household (Use the scrollbar to view the entire letter) PRINT

Student Nutrition Office
1505 Randolph St
Carrollton, TX 75006
Office:  972.968.6390
Fax:  972.968.6392


For quickest approval, apply online at www.crbisd.schoollunchapp.com

Dear Parent/Guardian:
Children need healthy meals to learn. Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $2.00; lunch costs $3.00. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced-price meals. Reduced price is $0.30 for breakfast and $0.40 for lunch. If you have received a notification letter that your child is directly certified for free meals, do not complete an application. Please call 972.968.6390 if any child(ren) in your household attending school are not listed in the Direct Certification notification letter.

The questions and answers that follow provide additional information on how to complete the application. Complete only one application for all of the students in the household. To apply, please complete the online application at www.cfbisd.schoollunchapp.com. If you need a paper application, please visit the Student Nutrition Office at 1505 Randolph St., Carrollton, TX 75006 or the cafeteria manager at your child(ren)’s school. The completed paper applications can be returned to either of these locations as well. We cannot approve an incomplete application, so be sure to fill out all required information. If you have questions about applying for free or reduced-price meals, please call 972.968.6390 or email hernandeze@cfbisd.edu.

1.   Who Can Get Free or Reduced-Price Meals?
-     Income- Children can get free or reduced-price meals if a household’s gross income (total, without deductions) is within the limits described in the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
-    Special Assistance Program Participants- Children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) are eligible for free meals.
-    Foster- Foster children who are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
-    Head Start, Early Head Start, and Even Start- Children participating in these programs are eligible for free meals.
-    Homeless, Runaway, and Migrant- Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals. If you haven’t been told about a child’s status as homeless, runaway, or migrant or you feel a child may qualify for one of these programs, please call Student Services at 972.968.6506 to see if your child qualifies.
-    WIC Recipient- Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals on an income basis. Please complete an application to determine if you qualify.

2. What If I Disagree With the School’s Decision About My Application? Talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to Rachelle Sherrin MS, MBA, RD, SNS, Director of Student Nutrition, 1505 Randolph St, Carrollton TX 75006, 972.968.6390.

3. My Child’s Application Was Approved Last Year. Do I Need To Fill Out A New Application? Yes. An application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. Complete a new application for the upcoming school year unless the Student Nutrition office sent you a letter stating that your child is directly certified for free meals for the new school year.

4. If I Don’t Qualify Now, May I Apply Later? Yes. Apply at any time during the school year if household income or circumstances change. A child with a parent/guardian who becomes unemployed at any time during the school year may become eligible for free or reduced-price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

5. What If My Income Is Not Always The Same? List the amount normally received. If a household member had to miss work last month, list usual pay. If a household member normally gets overtime pay, include that amount as income. If a household member lost a job or had hours/wages reduced, use current income.

6. We Are in The Military. Do We Report Our Income Differently?  Basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. Any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or Family Subsistence Supplemental allowance payments count as income. If housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is excluded from income. 

7. May I Apply If Someone in My Household Is Not a U.S. Citizen? Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced-price meals.

8. Will the Application Information I Give be Checked? Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the reported household income.

9. My Family Needs More Help. Are There Other Programs We Might Apply For? To find out how to apply for other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office by dialing 2-1-1.

10. Can I Apply Online? Yes! The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Visit www.cfbisd.schoollunchapp.com to begin or to learn more about the online application process. Contact the Student Nutrition Office at 972.968.6390 if you have questions about the online application.

If you have other questions or need help, call 972.968.6390.
Si necesita ayuda, por favor llame al teléfono: 972.968.6390.
Meal Benefits Clerk, C-FB ISD Student Nutrition Department

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: program.intake@usda.gov. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

For School Year 2017-2018

Household size Yearly Monthly Weekly
1 $22,311 $1,860 $430
2 $30,044 $2,504 $578
3 $37,777 $3,149 $727
4 $45,510 $3,793 $876
5 $53,243 $4,437 $1,024
6 $60,976 $5,082 $1,173
7 $68,709 $5,726 $1,322
8 $76,442 $6,371 $1,471
For each additional family member, add: $7,733 $645 $149