The Goleta Union School District participates in the National School Lunch Program and/or School Breakfast Program by offering healthy meals every school day. Your children may qualify for free or reduced-price meals by completing the Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals. Students eligible for: FREE Meals will receive LUNCH and BREAKFAST at NO CHARGE; REDUCED Price Meals will receive LUNCH for $0.40 and BREAKFAST at NO CHARGE. Students may buy lunch for $3.00 and breakfast for $1.50.
This packet includes an Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals and a set of detailed instructions. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.
1. WHO CAN RECEIVE FREE OR REDUCED-PRICE MEALS?
• All children in households receiving benefits from CalFresh, CalWORKs, or FDPIR are eligible for free meals.
•Children in households receiving benefits from MediCal may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals depending on income.
• Foster children under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
• Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
• Children who meet the definition of homeless, migrant, or runaway are eligible for free meals.
• Children may receive free or reduced-price meals if your household’s income is within the limits of the federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced-price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.
FEDERAL INCOME CHART
For School Year 2017-2018
||Twice per Month
||Every Two Weeks
|Each additional person:
2. HOW DO I KNOW IF MY CHILDREN QUALIFY AS HOMELESS, MIGRANT, OR RUNAWAY?
Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and have not been told your children will qualify for free meals, please the Community Liaison at your student’s school.
3. DO I NEED TO COMPLETE AN APPLICATION FOR EACH CHILD?
No. Complete one Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Your GUSD School Office or the GUSD District Office, Food Services, 401 N. Fairview Ave. Goleta, CA 93117, Attn: Hallie Ingram.
4. SHOULD I COMPLETE AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE ALREADY APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS?
No, but please read the letter carefully and follow any instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, please contact GUSD District Office, Food Services, Hallie Ingram by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: (805) 681-1200 ext. 247 immediately.
5. CAN I APPLY ONLINE?
Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able. The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Go to http://gusd.schoollunchapp.com to complete your application online.
6. MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT A NEW ONE? Yes, if you want to participate in the meal program. Your child’s Application is only good for one school year at a time and for the first few weeks of the following school year. You must send in a new application by Oct. 1, 2016. If you do not send in a new application that is approved by the school or you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged the full price for meals.
7. I RECEIVE WOMEN, INFANTS AND CHILDREN (WIC) BENEFITS. CAN MY CHILDREN RECEIVE FREE MEALS?
Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please complete an application.
8. WILL THE INFORMATION I PROVIDE BE CHECKED?
Yes. School officials may verify the information on the application at any time during the school year. You may be asked to send additional information to prove your income, or current eligibility for CalFresh, CalWORKS, MediCal or FDPIR.
9. IF I DO NOT QUALIFY NOW, MAY I APPLY LATER?
Yes, you can apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may be eligible for free and reduced-price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.
10. WHAT IF I DISAGREE WITH THE SCHOOL’S DECISION REGARDING MY APPLICATION?
You should talk to the school officials. You may also ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Margaret Saleh, GUSD Assistant Superintendent of Pupil Services, Civil Rights Coordinator, (805) 681-1200 ext. 219.
11. MAY I APPLY IF SOMEONE IN MY HOUSEHOLD IS NOT A U.S. CITIZEN?
Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced-price meals.
12. WHAT IF MY INCOME IS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME?
List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, enter on the Application that you made $1,000 per month. If you normally receive overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only occasionally work overtime. If you have lost your job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.
13. WHAT IF SOME HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS HAVE NO INCOME TO REPORT?
All household members must be included on the Application even if the individual does not receive income. Whenever this happens, please write a “0” in the income field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, the income will be counted as zero. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.
14. WE ARE IN THE MILITARY. DO WE REPORT OUR INCOME DIFFERENTLY?
Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.
15. WHAT IF THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SPACE ON THE APPLICATION FOR MY FAMILY?
List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application.
16. MY FAMILY NEEDS ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. ARE THERE OTHER PROGRAMS WE CAN APPLY FOR? Yes. For information on CalFresh and CalWORKs, contact your county welfare department by reviewing the CalFresh Web page at http://www.calfresh.ca.gov/PG839.htm or by phone at 877-847-3663.For additional assistance in your local area, contact the California referral hotline by phone at 211.
If you have other questions or need help, please contact Hallie Ingram, Food Services Secretary,
(805) 681-1200 ext. 247. Hingram@goleta.k12.ca.us
Kim Leung, RDN
Food Services Director