Mansfield ISD

Online Free and Reduced Application

Letter to Household (Use the scrollbar to view the entire letter) PRINT




Dear Parent/Guardian:
Children need healthy meals to learn. Mansfield ISD offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast is $1.50 for all grades. Lunch is $2.50 for Elementary, $2.75 for Intermediate and Middle School, and $3.00 for High School. Your child(ren) may qualify for free meals or for reduced-price meals. Reduced price is $0.30 for breakfast and $0.40 for lunch.

1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child? No. Complete one application to apply for free or reduced-price meals. Use one Free and Reduced-Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.

2. Who can get free meals? Children in households receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits (formerly the Food Stamp Program) or TANF can get free meals regardless of your income. Your benefit letter from the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) is your documentation for free meals. If you have not already received a letter from your school stating that your household is eligible for free meals, you may take your HHSC benefit letter to the school nutrition office to be certified for free meals. If a child in your household is directly certified due to receiving SNAP or TANF benefits, all children of your household are eligible for free meals. If a child in your household is not included on the Letter of Direct Certification, sent to you by the LEA, or if you have questions, call Angela Uplegger, Student Nutrition Services; 1910 N.Main St. Mansfield; 817-299-6040.

3. Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free or reduced-price meals? In most cases no, however, read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. Call Angela Uplegger, Student Nutrition Services; 1910 N.Main St. Mansfield; 817-299-6040. if you have questions or a member of your household is not listed on the letter. If your household does not receive SNAP or TANF, your children may still be eligible to receive free meals if your household income is less than the amounts listed on the federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Please complete the application and submit it to the school nutrition office. Head Start/Early Head Start students, Even Start children, and certain foster children also qualify for free meals. 

4. Can foster children get free meals? Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.

5. Can homeless, runaway, and migrant children get free meals? Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals. If you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call David Wright at 817-299-6360 to see if your child(ren) qualify.

6. My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out another one? Yes, your child’s application is only good for the school year and for the first 30 operating days of the new school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

7. I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please fill out an application.

8. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, we may ask you to send written proof.

9. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start receiving SNAP, TANF or other benefits (such as unemployment benefits).

10. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to Jeff Brogden,Associate Superintendent, Facilities and Bond Programs, 203 Hillcrest, Mansfield, Texas 76063 Phone (817) 299-4340.

11. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.

12. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.

13. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime pay, include that amount as income. If you do not normally get overtime pay, do not include it as income. If you have had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

14. We are in the military; do we include our housing allowance as income? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military House Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance. If the combat pay is received in addition to her basic pay because of her deployment, and it wasn’t received before she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.

15. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for other assistance benefits, dial 2-1-1.

If you have other questions or need help, call Angela Uplegger, 817-299-6040


                                                          FEDERAL INCOME CHART                                                            for School Year 2017-2018

Household Size Annual Monthly Twice Per Month Every Two Weeks Weekly
No. of Household Members  Free  Reduced  Free  Reduced  Free  Reduced  Free  Reduced  Free  Reduced
1  $15,678    $22,311   $1,307  $1,860 $654 $930 $603 $859  $302 $430 
2 $21,112 $30,044  $1,760 $2,504 $880 $1,252 $812 $1,156 $406 $578
3 $26,546 $37,777 $2,213 $3,149 $1,107 $1,575 $1,021 $1,453 $511 $727
4 $31,980 $45,510 $2,665 $3,793 $1,333 $1,897 $1,230 $1,751 $615 $876
5 $37,414 $53,243 $3,118 $4,437 $1,559 $2,219 $1,439 $2,048 $720 $1,024
6 $42,848 $60,976 $3,571 $5,082 $1,786 $2,541 $1,648 $2,346 $824 $1,173
7 $48,282 $68,709 $4,024 $5,726 $2,012 $2,863 $1,857 $2,643 $929 $1,322
8 $53,716 $76,442 $4,477 $6,731 $2,239 $3,186 $2,066 $2,941 $1,033 $1,471
For each additional family member, add +$5,434 +$7,733 +$453 +$645 +$227 +$323 +$209 +$298 +$105 +$149



Rita Denton
Director Student Nutrition Services

The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve your child for free or reduced price meals. You must include the last four digits of the social security number of the adult household member who signs the application. The last four digits of the social security number is not required when you apply on behalf of a foster child or you list a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) case number or other FDPIR identifier for your child or when you indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a social security number. We will use your information to determine if your child is eligible for free or reduced price meals, and for administration and enforcement of the lunch and breakfast programs. We MAY share your eligibility information with education, health, and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund, or determine benefits for their programs, auditors for program reviews, and law enforcement officials to help them look into violations of program rules.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email: program.intake@usda.gov

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.




La ley nacional de comidas escolares Richard B. Russell requiere esta información en esta solicitud. No está obligado a dar esta información, pero si no lo hace, no podemos autorizar que sus niños reciban comidas gratis o a precio reducido. Debe incluir los últimos cuatro dígitos del número de la Seguridad Social del miembro adulto de la vivienda que fi a la solicitud. No son obligatorios los últimos cuatro dígitos del número de la Seguridad Social cuando realiza la solicitud en nombre de un niño en régimen de acogida o si proporciona un número de expediente de Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP - Programa de asistencia de nutrición complementaria), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF - Asistencia temporal para familias necesitadas) Program or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR - Programa de distribución de alimentos en reservas indias) u otro identificador FDPIR de su niño, o cuando indica que el miembro adulto de la vivienda que fi a la solicitud no tiene un número de la Seguridad Social. Usaremos su información para determinar si su niño tiene derecho a recibir comidas gratis o a precio reducido, y la administración y ejecución de los programas de comida y desayuno. PODEMOS compartir esta información con los programas de educación, salud y nutrición para ayudarlos a evaluar, fi o determinar las prestaciones de sus programas, auditores para revisar los programas, y agentes del orden público para ayudarlos a investigar violaciones de las normas del programa.

De acuerdo con la ley federal de derechos civiles y los reglamentos y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de EE. UU. (USDA - U.S. Department of Agriculture), el USDA, sus organismos, ofi y empleados, y las instituciones que participan o administran los programas del USDA tienen prohibido discriminar por motivos de raza, color, origen étnico, sexo, discapacidad, edad o tomar represalias o venganza por actividades anteriores a los derechos civiles en cualquier programa o actividad llevada a cabo o financiado por el USDA..

Las personas con discapacidad que requieran medios alternativos de comunicación para informarse del programa (por ejemplo, braille, letra grande, cinta de audio, lengua americana de signos, etc.) deben ponerse en contacto con el organismo (estatal o local) donde solicitaron sus prestaciones. Las personas sordas o con problemas de audición o defi encias en el habla pueden ponerse en contacto con el USDA a través del Federal Relay Service (servicio federal de transmisiones) en el (800) 877-8339. Además, puede encontrar información del programa en otros idiomas además del inglés. Para presentar una queja por discriminación contra el programa, rellene el formulario de quejas por discriminación contra el programa de USDA, (USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form - AD-3027) disponible en línea en: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, y en cualquier oficina del USDA, o escriba una carta dirigida al USDA con toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Para solicitar una copia del formulario de queja, llame al (866) 632-9992. Envíe el formulario rellenado o carta al USDA por:

(1) correo: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442;

(3) correo electrónico: program.intake@usda.gov.

Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.